Rocky River Presbyterian Church History
Rocky River Presbyterian sits on 44 acres in rural southern Cabarrus County closer to Harrisburg than Concord. It was started in the home of William White, Sr. in 1751. It was first mentioned in the records of the New Side Synod of New York in October 1755. The first pastor, the Reverend Alexander Craighead was installed on October 8, 1758. Mr. Craighead was very outspoken in his views against the British dating back to the 1730s. Unfortunately, Mr. Craighead died without seeing the formation of the United States of America. Rocky River's second pastor, Rev. Hezekiah James Balch was instrumental in writing the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence and the May 31, 1775 Mecklenburg Resolves.
The site of the original log sanctuary lies two miles northwest of the present church. This site is now within Pharr Mill Park. The second sanctuary, also of logs was erected around 1776 and was situated several hundred yards to the east of the current church. The third sanctuary, constructed in 1807 was a frame construction and occupied ground now located in the cemetery of the present church. The fourth and present sanctuary was dedicated in 1861 and was built for $6,000. Fingerprints can be seen in the handmade brick. The building had a 750 person seating capacity when it was built.